Wednesday 19 October 2011

eReaders aren't going to replace books just yet

I just got some junk email from WH Smith about their new Kobo eReader Touch which costs £109.99 so thought I'd take a look.

It might look pretty in pastels (obviously trying for the female appeal) and have batteries that last a month, but I can't help feeling that the electronic book prices are a rip-off.

At WH Smith it is cheaper to buy a paper book (printed, bound, packed and delivered, held on shelf in store until sold) than it is to buy the equivalent copy for the £110 book reader.

The Neutronium Alchemist ebook - £7.07

The Neutronium Alchemist paperback - £6.38


Maybe I'm still old fashioned, but being able to buy a book I can read in the bath, and that I can pass on to the Oxfam bookshop when I'm finished still appeals to me.  And if that is cheaper than the electronic copy all the better.

No comments: